Monday, August 07, 2006

Gross Municipal Product

So I finally get around to searching for a concept I had.

We have Gross Domestic Product.

We have Gross State Product.

But if I want to gauge how big a city is (and thus run additional calculations, like overall tax rates, etc), it would be really neat to have GROSS MUNICIPAL PRODUCT (GMP).

The concept already exists, but primarily in Japan where a Google-search turned up maybe a dozen hits of Japanese city's municipal products.

But I got nothing as splendid as a list or a database that shows say the top 50 cities' GMP in the US.

Anybody got a link or know if this information actually exists?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think GMP wouldn't be an effective way to measure local economies because every city's economy depends on commuters. You can't decide where to draw the line. What belongs to the city, what doesn't?

Instead, I would look at Gross County Product data. I've googled for GCP and I found some interesting data for Kentucky. It stated that one county in Kentucky has a GCP of $5,000! How Funny, that's the level of China, I think.

JTapp said...

Doesn't the BEA publish statistics for certain major cities? I hear what the GDP of Los Angeles is quoted all the time (because it's been about the size of Russia's entire GDP). In fact, I even looked it up one time.

Try this link for a start:
http://www.demographia.com/db-intlgdp-metro.htm

JTapp said...

I found a website at the University of Michigan that claims to look at "Gross City Product." If you seek it you shall find it.