Sunday, October 23, 2005

My Anger Issues and the Mad Doctor's

I've often been told that I have "anger issues" by several people.

Of course, the people who have this observation all have a common trait I've found in that their lives have been a relative cake walk.

Did they ever drop 30 pounds because they couldn't afford 3 meals a day and had a physically exhausting job?

No.

Did they become a real adult at the age of 18 meaning they supported themselves completely and could claim they'd be in the same situation as they are today had their parents died and left them nothing?

No.

Did they ever know the meaning of poverty and have to live in a room that rented for $179 a month to make ends meet?

No.

I've often found it a losing proposition to try to convey struggle and strife to them, because unless you've been through it yourself, it's impossible to convey it to other people. And so I largely shut up and hope the imminent economic chaos and collapse that is sure to strike us in the next 20 years will give them a dose of reality and vindicate my cynicism and "anger." Of course, by that time, what will it really matter.

That being said, it's nice to know that I'm not the only cynical bastard out there.

Welcome The Mad Doctor.

His blog, Universe on the Couch, is kind of a sounding board I use to make sure that somebody outside the economics profession sees what I see and to make sure I'm not crazy.

He shares the same dismal hopes for America and I'm predicting he shares the same disdain for the Baby Boomer generation that I do as his latest post is pointing towards that.

Alas, it seems to me the good doctor footed his own bill through college and wasn't spared any of the lessons from the school of hard knocks.

Visit the good Mad Doctor when you have a chance.

2 comments:

Captain Capitalism said...

I've debated it as I've gone through my 20's and how I wish I had things versus how much ahead of my contemporaries I am in terms of work ethic, maturity and got my schtick together.

The easy answer is I don't want children. Thus coping out.

But to answer it directly I still subscribe to the theory I would not pay their way.

Were I to have a child I would dedicate MANY hours in educating them about the merits of self-reliance, independence and a strong work ethic. I'd also make it very clear to them that they could not afford to major in crap for their entire college education would be wasted. Thus, putting an emphasis on engineering, accounting, finance, science, medicine, dentistry, etc.

That being said, I would help them out a little in that Christmas time or birthdays I'd buy them books or gift certificates to a grocery store, etc. Nothing as stupid as just giving them money because then it can be wasted on booze and what not.

All that being said, I'd also emphasize that they do not work too much during college like I did (held a full time job on top of full time school). I want them to appreciate the merits of debt.

Debt, not to buy a fancy car that will only depreciate. Debt not to piss away on consumer goods and crap to rack up credit card debt. But debt to be put down on a wise investment so that they can get a full 8 hours of sleep a night, and get good grades and establish a career in a very employable field.

Besides, this familiarity with debt will serve them well in purchasing a house and perhaps investing in property.

Regardless, I don't want them repeating the mistakes I made because I had no barometer as to how to approach and complete college and just burnt myself out. But I do want them to value an education and apprecaite just how much it takes to make it in this world. Otherwise they'll be like recipient nations of aid and the entire welfare society, or even the trust fund babies such as the Kennedy's or the Bush's, they'll just expect to be taken care of. And no society has thrived long pursuing that philosophy.

Captain Capitalism said...

Young Brad,

I was never taking away their choice. It wasn't their choice. It's my choice since it's my money. And if I decide to give my kids a coupon for groceries or buy them 60 liters of whiskey or to blow it on a trip for me and my beloved Mrs. Captain Capitalism in the Caymans, either way, you're right, choice still reigns supreme.